After 40 years of fame of the Westerwold ryegrass variety Barspectra, Barenbrug proudly presents the release of the successor variety Barspectra II. Although Barspectra was difficult to beat, the Barenbrug breeders succeeded in breeding this new leading variety with improved forage characteristics which will benefit farmers using the variety.
Barspectra II stands for high quality, palatable forage. Barspectra II is a leafiness, broad leaved variety with a significantly higher dry matter content in the plant, providing very high dry matter yields per hectare. Barspectra II has a high digestibility, crude protein content and is rich of soluble sugars. Moreover, the variety shows excellent disease resistance. The variety was specially selected for usage in southern European production systems. Therefore, Barspectra II produces a massive first cut, but is also suitable for use in multicut systems during the season.
The main features of Barspectra II are:
- Fast establishment after sowing and dense growth.
- Excellent dry matter yield at first cut
- High protein content in the plant
- Rich of sugars
- Excellent crown rust resistance
- Good heat stress resistance.
- Excellent resistance to lodging
- Barspectra II showed the highest dry matter yields in trials in Italy and France