Green Spirit Dry is a new mixture designed for new planting dryland pastures in low rainfall areas (300mm – 450mm growing season precipitation). Green Spirit Dry contains the best available latest varieties of grasses and legumes selected for germination, establishment and drought tolerance under low rainfall conditions.
With a combination of improved brome subspecies and legumes adapted to dryland regions. The brome increases the energy value of the forage. The lucerne supplies extra nitrogen to the crop for higher yields and protein production. The components are extensively tested. The growth pattern of the Brome combines well with lucerne varieties in the dormancy classes ranging from 3 to 5. This mixture is ideally suited for hay/silage. In grazing systems, it should be taken into account that the mixture only tolerates light grazing. On the other hand, Green Spirit Dry maintains palatability at seed-head stage of growth.
The component Hakari Alaska brome (Bromus sitchensis) is a unique grass. Hakari is an impressive, late-maturing brome grass that produces extremely high yields of quality forage. It is adapted to the severe winter climates. Hakari is a tall, broad-leaved, sparsely tillering brome grass with an erect rather than creeping growth pattern. Hakari has good spring re-growth and also produces leafy summer growth. Hakari exhibits drought tolerance and is resistant to rust. Together with top varieties of lucerne, the mixtures has the following benefits:
- Quick establishment
- Drought tolerant
- Disease resistant
- Impressive forage yields
- Highly palatable and high in energy
- Wait with initial cutting/grazing until stand is 20cm tall and firm rooted. This cutting/grazing must be light, leaving at least 10cm of residual canopy
- Provides impressive yields of quality forage for 3 – 4 seasons
- Green Spirit Dry’s performance will be enhanced by adaptive cutting/grazing management
- Winter survival and spring green-up will be improved by proper fall grazing management
- Cutting height 8 – 10cm