ProtaPlus is a product for short-term forage production (6-12 months). It can be used as an intercrop between arable crops like corn, cereals or cotton. ProtaPlus can be harvested 2-3 times and used as silage, hay or as fresh feed, which is directly fed to animals. Grazing is also possible, as long as rotational- or strip-grazing is applied.
- Sowing period:
- Mediterranean climates: August – October
- Mild/oceanic climates: April – August
- Annual clovers need a warm period to establish so don’t sow too early or late in the season: soil
temperature should be > 12 °C
- Sowing in humid soil, very fine seedbed, comparable to sugar beets or lucerne
- Seed rate: 35 kg/ha
- Sowing depth: 0.5 – 1.0 cm. After sowing use a roller to compress the soil
- For optimal Nitrogen fixation by Rhizobia pre-inoculation with a mix of Group B- and C-inoculants is necessary
- Annual clovers require a minimal pH of 5.5 – 6.0. For lower soil-pH liming is recommended.
- As a starter fertilization special attention should be paid to P, K and S. N-fertilization is needed for the 1st cut, afterward no extra N is needed
- Animal manure/slurry to be applied before sowing or after 1st cut. Don’t apply on young grass
- Artificial fertilizer to be applied from two weeks after sowing onwards (spring/summer sowing), or shortly after winter (autumn sowing)
- ProtaPlus can be harvested 2-3 times per season (4-6 weeks interval)
- Don’t cut too low: cutting height no lower than 7-8 cm
- Tedding and raking should be done smoothly, to prevent losses from cloverleaves
Click here to read all about the ProtaPlus grass seed mixture.